Monday, November 10, 2014

some maps

 
mapping a book 
ink and lokta
 mapping friendship
 map of a flea market
 and knowledge!
 and a body map 
i love these mannikins
 complete with many foldouts
a different sort of centerfold!
a forester's map 
a timber cruiser's? 
 i've found some local bits--
long lake is mentioned 
 a rose map
 the second try at a big map
a hortus siccus.
 both home places,
old and new
their gifts both here.
a full sheet.
LARGE
 now i want to go and weave something.
but first, 
i went out to gather some sumac
and wasn't mindful
until i cut my palm with my felco's.
there was blood, but not enough for a stitch.
i was reminded to thank the sumac
the hard way.
it's important to remember one's obligations.

12 comments:

  1. just lovely. I've always held on to the thought that "everything is/has a story", but will now add "and a map", too. I've very fond memories of getting out mom's medical book, w/the centerfold & overlays of the body & I used to share with my preschool class the idea that maps could be paper, stone, song, etc…

    ReplyDelete
  2. hs, yes, it's so connected to how we locate this stuff in our brains, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love maps, they give you a sense of where you are going - and where you have been. with a drop of blood now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey how it looks...the thought then the page. Really very exciting,and a bit of blood adds just the right dark note...yes, respect requires requesting. That was a stroke of genious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely large sheet. and the penmanship on the pages too.
    looking for sumac to plant

    ReplyDelete
  6. jean, evidence...one leaves it around sometimes, just not so copiously. i needed a reminder.
    michelle, yes, genious!
    neki, much of the script was with a wonky pen that made wonderful double lines, i imagine a cruiser in "de woods" pulling out that little book and making notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that old timber workers's journal and how it chronicles the forest...and then your full sheet - the old and the new place, a coming together and and continuity despite shifting and changing, oh so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mc, me, intriguing? GOOD!!
    fiona, i thought of you as i was looking through this little book there in the funny flea market.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh but I do love maps! Even ...

    "Girl Wife Mother
    No phase of womanhood omitted"

    Once upon a time that would have made my feminist blood boil, but now I laugh as I imagine mapping my way through grandparenthood ... the best phase yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. liz, i guess there's a map for everything--

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *