Friday, March 8, 2019

more daylight

i just read someone's comment on facebook:
soon we'll have more daylight because of the time change.
what?
haven't they been looking around?
even here, 
in this long harsh winter with little sunshine,
the days grow longer, 
even if they are snowy 
and windy 
or just really cold,
so cold,
 i turned back on my walk the other day.
that person needs to go outside.
[as if the human grid of time
has a way of shaping the arc of days.]
inside i've been making prints.
really fine colors, patterns
appearing
happily surprising me.
 looking out my windows midday in the 9 degree wind
i saw a very hungry youngster
braving my yard 
for cedar.
hoping for food, 
eschewing that scary road.
 glad i dropped some bits from the twigs i gathered for printing.
but it's not enough to make that belly warm.
 meanwhile, 
keeping my hands busy, 
i spun up thread while waiting out the bitter winds.
i found a little of the leftover old lokta* to spin up.
here it is,
looking lovely in the early morning sun 
today.

*thanks to my australian friends
karen and robyn

and as some of you might observe, 
i deleted the swear word.
it's not my call to condemn if folks don't pay attention to 
their days.
and it's hysterical that daylight fades their curtains
within a timeframe that only they
can understand. 
here, the sun fades things if and when it does.
not, i might add, the contact prints on paper
or not that i've observed.
not once. ever.

5 comments:

  1. (((Velma))) in Queensland the citizens opted out of daylight savings because they thought the extra hour of light would fade the curtains, I kid you not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Mo - madness by some, but not all of us! Our days are shortening and the mornings darkening, but the change feels right. I love that spun lokta V - such a warming, domestic photograph; it feels as if it is enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, those papers are looking fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my laugh of the day here. "....fade the curtains." :~) But, on the serious side, I love love the papers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful papers Velma and inviting Kami Ito.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *