Friday, November 27, 2009

black and nothing


black friday is not in my world, for years i've avoided shopping and was pleased a couple years back when ian emailed me about buy nothing day. friday is recovery from feasting, pumpkin pie for breakfast, and enjoying time at the worktable. talking with kathy and carol. oh, and tea.

reflection on the supper we had, marc, leah, hannah and i. squash; potatoes both local and organic; chicken, heritage, local and organic from bittersweet farm. broccoli, good greens. pear pie, pumpkin, too. and maple walnut cake, syrup from camp oswegatchie. vermont farm cheeses, wine. good conversation, several toasts, four dogs: wendy, lina, gwen, and tess the puppy.

i love november, and march, the times between seasons, when the land shows her bones, when weather is changeable, and contemplation is appropriate. certain things are annoying, the mouse trapline, newly iced roads, cold fingers. soon the snow comes, it often is already here, but not this year.

9 comments:

  1. You may think since you just started this blog, no one is reading. But you are wrong, I'm reading and enjoying the pictures.

    Isn't it lovely after the leaves fall and before the snow when you see a familiar walk very differently?

    sus

    ReplyDelete
  2. i suppose that this blog may just be the affirmation of something that was always there. a walk in between seasons. indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that top photo. I always think that pumpkin pie tastes best for breakfast....

    ReplyDelete
  4. my life here, in this place, is about living appropriately. about as easy as climbing everest.

    the barn is special: my son has drawn the interior many times, my daughter photographs it. they were with me doing chores, mucking the horses, milking the goats, lambing and kidding. feeding rabbits and geese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. in between seasons hold so much magic within them. and a lovely light too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog Velma. I want to 'follow' this .....are you going to add this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love the idea of buy nothing day. I don't do black Friday either. Your photos and papers are beautiful. I've asked my husband for one thing for Christmas... an Arnold Grummer Paper Making Kit. It's something that I really want to learn. It seems so "organically artistic" and I want something that will lead me back to my roots, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the a.g. company is wonderful to deal with. you will be thoroughly supported as you learn. the yahoo papermaking group is an invaluable resource, too. i'm unable at present to include a link, but go to yahoo and groups and papermaking and join.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *