Thursday, October 23, 2014

an honorable harvest

sunny quaking aspen
leaves,
nine for a friend.
i listened to this lecture this week: 
(i sadly missed it "in person")


autumn cow pasture 
about the honorable harvest.
it's happening here
i see amish neighbors
bringing in hay and corn using their big horses.
the gardens are mostly asleep
(you may remember what happened to mine)
but my friends are still eating
fall bounty.
my backyard and overgrown meadow 
i am harvesting from my friends 
the weeds,
and i find myself 
doing what dr. kimmerer suggests:
introducing myself
asking to share
and sharing what i make
with others.
it's surprisingly comfortable, appropriate
to say
hello, please, and thankyou
to wild grapevine.
 a few little grapes.
 the medicines at your feet,
 sumac, prunus, goldenrod, wild grape,
 common weed plants.
and a few pieces of aluminum, copper, and 
"hard" well water
an honorable harvest.
for beauty
and for the knowledge of books.

20 comments:

  1. I've asked permission to take roots, plants, branches and even stones before doing so, and always say thank you. I was collecting mountain laurel branches with a friend once, and he was trying to dislodge a dead one that was part way fallen over. I suggested he ask permission, wait for the answer, and, if yes, pull. He thought I was crazy, but decided to ask, wait and when he magically felt a "yes", he pulled and the tree came out in an instant, throwing him to the ground. He was shocked.

    Great paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. valerie, robin's lecture reminded me (as did her book) of the obligation we (plants and people) have to work together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colours from the sumac, mine looked wonderful when wet but not so good when the fabric was dry.
    From the comments I think I must listen to the lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah.. your colours are beautiful.
    I sometimes speak to the sea and am often surprised at the bounty that washes up at my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You aren't sleeping in your autumn, Velma.
    I like your wild meadow garden. It's about all a garden needs to be.
    Thank you for your tranquil post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just finished re-reading "Braiding Sweetgrass", it is a wonderful reminder to honor all the earth's gifts. lovely prints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully put
    Harvest for beauty, a necessity to our nourishment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. debbie, these are dry and pressed. listen, indeed!
    robyn, you may like what robin has to say...
    faisal, it's wild all right! and wonderful. i have had sheep, horses, and gardens on this land.
    jean, listen to her talk!!
    jude, they're for you. and listen to th talk.
    m, thank you
    mc, thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely autumn and bountiful harvest. Whoever said it had to be edible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Velma
    thank you so much for posting a link to Robin Wall Kimmerer's lecture. Her philosophy resonates so strongly with an Australian Indigenous world view (which I'm sure you realise from the time you spent here). Kind regards,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. jill, i used braiding sweetgrass to pull readings from last year while teaching in oz. it was the perfect blend, australian summer and dr kimmerer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes I remember Velma. Beautiful. Now I must order that book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. jill-i hope it's affordable, you can hear some of her talks online if you search her name...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm now waiting for braiding sweetgrass to arrive (good price at abebooks). In the meantime I'm reading wisdom sits in places. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. jill, excellent! please tell me what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *