Sunday, June 27, 2010

drive by

st. lawrence county is huge. i'm told that it's the largest county east of the mississippi. i haven't looked it up but i can say that about half of the land inside the county is adirondack forest preserve, inside the (imaginary) "blue line". and if you're anything like me, you don't leave time out to explore locally. so yesterday i had a graduation brunch (one of my hooligans, way to go, girl!) to attend in a wee hamlet along the st. lawrence river. on the way home i stopped at mare's wares. and bought some stuff!
the stoneware is clean and nicely formed. the glazes are divine. tiny bowl has wonderful coloration. red bowl is simply holding some strawberries i bought at merkley's farm stand, right after i bought some river rat cheese curd. i know that cheese curd is a peculiar food, but i love it. 


my four days off are over, now it's time to get some work done, pulp cooked, books completed, and, i've been saving this news, but i get to meet the marvelous india flint on wednesday. if the planets and stars and via rail align, i will attend her lecture in toronto and see up close and personal the magician of dyeing. to say i'm excited is an understatement. i will try to remember the blasted camera, etc. it's a quick trip, but oh, my!

7 comments:

  1. my heart goes with you. this is a real gift,
    i wish.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. you better sleep with the camera around your neck!! i want to see photos as consolation prize.other than this rant :) enjoy, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Velma, you are correct. St. Larry's county is the largest (sq miles) east of the Miss. During the 10 years I lived in the North Country/1000 Islands region, I did a short stint at Jefferson County before moving on to the Handweaving Museum in Clayton. I learned all kinds of interesting facts about the counties up there. Ahhhh, how I miss the North Country - those drives along the St. Larry river and through the rural areas up to Canton and beyond not only blessed one with goreous scenery, but lovely "finds" along the way. I like what YOU found!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! i was director there handweaving museum for a short stint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I remember you very well. I am SO glad that I "found" you again. There is something that I would like to say (er, I mean, write), but would prefer to do so in a more private manner - possibly email?

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *