Sunday, October 17, 2010

invite

leaves are more than half shed from our landscape. the country is beginning to show her bones once again. fewer leaves in my yard than when my kids were young and we made huge piles of (mostly) maple leaves, like so much shredded gloss. three grandparent trees have shattered and fallen, and another is partially dead, leaving only one of the original "in the yard" elders. the other elders are here and there on the land, but not many are left.
i love this rock's surface, the color, the fissures
i am thinking of rock, of rock books, of shifu, of milkweed, of sunshine and frost and heavy rain. it is the season of books and woodstoves and hot tea and chocolate. it is the time of remembering and anticipating, the final harvests. canada celebrated thanksgiving while we celebrated conquering our first nations. odd.
two of the three finished, unsewn. i have to borrow a large mould for the big one, and finish the other small one. binding and content coming along. barry smith put a bug back in my ear that i had chased out. placing them in the landscape...somehow. i have been thinking about it. 
so come, please. it will be a small show, but i hope it will be a glimpse into my thinking. so from vessels to hold air to vessels to hold thoughts to vessels to hold humus, i am traveling through these ideas in woven paper and words. since this was published, the show has been scheduled to stay up into the beginning of december.

22 comments:

  1. i would, i would, if i were anywhere on that continent. will it be online after or during? k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. would love to see photos from the show..these are incredible works of art.. I am in awe truly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so much like to come, but am far away. Good luck with it though...I am so intrigued by the rock book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my free spirit will be there.count on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the show will be very modest-but i am glad of visitors and free spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We definitely need to start putting up an internet gallery presence at the SLC Arts Council. I'll put a bug in Hilary's ear about that - it sounds like the perfect job for a museum curation intern to work on. I'll bet we could find one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could come, Velma! Wishing you the best.
    xo,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of rock paper, can you talk more about making it? And after it is made, can I snip out, from just one piece, a pair of scissors? to be, you know, rock paper scissors.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. lee,
    ha!!! love it.

    the paper is made with a shaped deckle, so the outer contour of the sheets approximates the shape of the split rock book covers. some sheets are hinged, made as page spreads, others (large) are one individual page, and will be more like a leaf book when done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the show! Wish I could see it...that is a non-subtle hint for photos.

    (I posted something very like this two days ago, but it disappeared...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have no idea why that happens melissa. it's frequent, though, and annoying. i chose blogger because it was easiest--should have chosen wordpress, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Velma, I'm putting your show on my calendar! Can't wait!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic!!! I'm totally in love with these books, Velma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these rock books! I was brought here by Robyn and grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi, rock lover! i'm enthralled by these and your ideas, holding thoughts....a friend sent this post to me=a long time wrapper of rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you nancy, for stopping by, for loving the secrets rocks share

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *