Sunday, May 2, 2010

wake robins spotted: tooley pond road

i drove into the western adirondacks this morning, tootled down tooley pond road to cranberry lake, stopped for ice cream in star lake, went down the back way to oswegatchie, close by fine, down the cracker box road, to south russell, and then home. and today we saw two ravens, watching over us foolish humans, and many, many spring flowers. on tooley pond road we watched the growing things back up a week or two. but i cursed myself (twice) for forgetting my camera. here's what i saw: wake robin trilliums, the flower my mill is named for. 
all. 
over. 
the. 
woods. 
i have no picture for you.


my first ecoprint. india suggested it. bloodroot on silk. bundled for two weeks. more or less. i couldn't wait any longer.

13 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish you'd have had your camera... I know you would have taken beautiful photos. I love the silk. What makes it an "eco print?" I assume it has something to do with the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out india flint's site or her book. in a nutshell, plants are laid on fabric, bundled up and tightly tied, and dyed by heat, moisture, time,the chemistry of all these things, mordants added or not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. camera is a must!
    nice prints. such an amazingly true process...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love the mottled pattern, and the lines. Did you add string to the bundle or is that just from the folds? Either way it is stunning. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i bundled them tightly with linen thread, very tightly spun line linen which took hardly any dye at all. lesson--use a more giving, softly spun thread if you want the dyed threads as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it matter what time of year you do this process (ie does heat in summer or cold in winter affect the time taken for the strength of colour)? It's truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, this was cold processed entirely in april. so not as cold as it would have been in january or as hot as july. no extra heat, the root was freshly dug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the info, Velma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you might also try yellow root...nice citrusy yellows...very light fast and colorfast...easy peasy...black walnut is another good one...especially if you add some iron to it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot my camera the other day too. i always see the best things when I don't have it with me.

    What fantastic leaf prints...

    xt

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a strong colour! It seems your patience was rewarded. Great result, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. bloodroot is always a jewel color.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *