Sunday, August 22, 2010

rainy day

i emailed a friend today and i wrote about framing my life in my work, this has been on my mind. like many women i made the choice to have children, instead of pursuing a career, i set up a studio at home. the marriage failed and i had to make some real money, so i went back to school to get all the papers i needed to teach, so i could make a living, keep this home for my kids. not an unusual story. the work, an alternative high school program. is interesting and intense. and it commences in a week and a half, until the end of next june. 
i want to keep the intensity of this summer, the art part of my life, vibrant through the school year, i think it will make me a better teacher, certainly a better person.
these are my rock books. these five are waiting for whatever pages i build/bind in them. (one is hiding under the one in the foreground). i found them (and many small ones as well) on my walks around this place. here. not one came from more than a quarter mile from my door. i will make pages soon. i hope. 

14 comments:

  1. rainy here, too. i love your stories, your words, the way you live your life. like we have talked about, with integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You walk a good path, Velma. My life also has disparate threads of conflicting demands and desires. I have faith that someday they will all merge beautifully. In the meantime - patience, balance and hope.

    I'm very curious about those rock books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those rock books make me dream.... I love the work I do to pay the bills, but often wish it was a shorter day so that I had more time for nesting and creating. So hard to find balance sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic photos - i am so glad to have found your blog via india flint :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you all do get it.

    welcome, lisette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Velma - fabulous photos and those rock books have made my heart sing. We all end up on different paths and do the best we can - I try to live without regrets, to celebrate the moments and take nothing for granted. I hope the energy stays with you as you return to school - your work is so beautiful and restful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. no regrets, and i agree re: taking nothing for granted. there then can be such surprise and delight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i made the choice to not have kids, the marriages failed, i got the degrees, but now i'm at home all day looking after my octogenarian Mum...just the two of us...we make our choices and somewhere there the art and creativity fits in to bring sense to it all. Enjoy your school year...k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all live our story...and when the time is right we tell it in whatever way or form. For me, it was a series of woven tapestries.

    I like the idea of rock books...something solid.

    The top photo reminds me of a pot of melted, bubbling chocolate...maybe with a few marshmallows floating on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i always worked, even after the marriage failed, didn't take a stitch as a single mom, made it through and totally enjoyed the intensity of your summer activities... rock books. splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. chocolate rain! i altered that photo, first time ever for the blog, in iPhoto.

    looks like the rock books, er, rock!

    welcome back my dear jude!

    ReplyDelete
  12. dang!
    was going to say rock books rock :(
    true, we all have our stories and those are that constant chord,legato, in our work whatever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i didn't know the word legato. tied together. nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your rock books are so local, so close to home, and so strong. Just like you. May your work and art have a perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *