Sunday, February 7, 2010

sometimes amidst february syndrome*



there are times, even when money is tight, when you must splurge, and yesterday i took myself to white's florist in canton in search of summer and eucalyptus. i found both. and thirteen dollars poorer, i placed my bit of summer in an old milk bottle. and this morning, an overcast one, it's gold is even more luscious. and necessary. 


i placed the eucalyptus in water until i ready some cloth for eco printing. perhaps today!



yesterday i walked out back with wendy, visiting the creaky frozen barn and finding a bird's nest. this barn was built of recycled timbers so it has history in layers, history i can only guess at. but when i moved here, the milkhouse had records from the 1950s on the wall, sadly stripped away by children and wind. but you can, perhaps see that the timber frame has evidence of prior mortice and tenon work. down in the stabling area, i removed the cow stanchions to make stalls for my sheep, goats, and horses. now it's very empty.



wendy's nose, however, found all kinds of interest. i often wonder how it is in a dog's universe, with smell being SMELL. i listened to temple grandin friday on npr, and understand there is a new film about her life. i read one of her books and was fascinated, as was i with adam's task by vicki hearne about the training relationships between animals and people. at school we are reading crow and weasel by barry lopez, and the formal yet intimate relationships the beings all have with one another are causing much conversation. this week we will carve small animals (fetishes or totems, if you will) from soapstone, as a way to discover more about ourselves, about animals, about the connection. we have donated leather, and perhaps we will make small pouches for them as well. 





my old riding ring, where i rode for hours, working on shoulders in, cross rails, lead changes...looking west

*february syndrome: from melissa jay craig

9 comments:

  1. Velma, I know I've said it before, but your blog is just beautiful... photos, artwork, words... feeling... it's all here. I saw the trailer for the Temple Grandin with Claire Danes (I think she's one of the most talented young actresses today), it looks to be a great movie. Barry Lopez is one of my favorite writers, also Terry Tempest Williams and Allison Demming Hawthorne. Another author along the same vein is Janisse Ray, I've met her several times and taken creative writing workshops with her. I think you would like her. Anyway... I'm glad you found some summer in your gorgeous sunflower...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! i have read some writing from of all your author list. and i must assume we could probably share books! t.t.w. read and spoke here when she was writing her last book, and it was amazing. i was swooning, my head and heart full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see if I can comment today...

    Adam's Task is wonderful - and I've never met anyone else who's read it. Maybe it's my citified existence. (As, of course, is Temple Grandin. I'm looking forward to the movie, too, but will have to wait for the captioned version). Your February Syndrome cure is gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the walk through your barn and the nosing around of Wendy. I keep hearing about this movie about Temple Grandin - I am fascinated, as I know little of her. Your post is a reminder to explore further. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. melissa, you know adam's task! i just loved it, and i couldn't find anyone who was interested in it, even when i loaned it out. all my riding buddies at the time were non-readers, or computer geeks. and i wanted to understand the why of horses and dogs, especially, and the training relationship.

    i hope to see the t.g. movie, but have to say that terry gross interviewed her well and with sensitivity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a very good thing to give yourself a little bit of summer. I'm a little bit over summer at the moment...hot hot days, but too bad as we are spending summer in the US this year too, so it's summer, summer, summer, with a bit 'o spring thrown in for us this year! Better than a year of winter. We've done that before...

    Sorry for the rambly one...enjoy that sunflower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. there's a line i believe from Omar Khayyam

    if i had but two loaves of bread i would sell one and buy hyacinths. for they would feed my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such personal post, i feel i was right there with you, feeling the glow of that sunflower warming my day.
    it amazes me that smell exists in such cold. ha!
    i like the dotted I i see in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jude, sometimes i think this internet makes for good neighbors. i think you were there. i think i saw fiber, lots of it, on milkweed stems and dogbane pods. yes, fiber.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *