Friday, March 5, 2010

collaboration

when someone makes something both useful and beautiful, it comes from somewhere, it doesn't occur in a vacuum. i make plenty of useless objects, some beautiful, some not. some are, i hope, provocative. sometimes something is just plain fine. just before my camera died, i took two shots of these wristies, or fingerless gloves. i had some machine spun, sock weight wool with nylon that i space dyed last summer. the dyes were acid dyes, dye baths that were hanging around after dyeing vellum. i think i might have used three or four baths to come up with the variegation.
hannah knits wristies and for these long, elegant ones, she picked this skein. i think they're lovely, but find them too long for my taste, they bunch up more than i'm happy with. they're quite long, about 12 inches. if i were less curmudgeonly, it wouldn't bug me.


one pair of fingerless gloves = four dyebaths, two friends (carol and mark) to dye vellum with, one knitter, one dyer, one skein of wool. she thinks they're "eh". i think they're lovely.

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you -- they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are lovely too. I have a pair that I wear in my office. It's always cold in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curmudgeonly is a wonderful word. They are indeed lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are lovely, the colors are great, but i like cantankerous better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. handmade,shared and functional! a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *